I think that almost every user has encountered browser brakes when browsing the Internet. Moreover, this can happen not only on weak computers …
There are many reasons why the browser can slow down, but in this article I want to focus on the most popular ones that most users encounter. In any case, a set of recommendations described below will make your work on a PC more comfortable and faster!
Let's get started …
The main reasons for slowing down browsers ..
1. Computer performance …
The first thing I want to draw your attention to is the characteristics of your computer. The fact is that if the PC is 'weak' by today's standards, and you install a new demanding browser + extensions and add-ons on it, then it is not at all surprising that it starts to slow down …
In general, in this case, you can give several recommendations:
- try not to install too many extensions (only the most necessary ones);
- when working, do not open many tabs (when you open a dozen or more tabs, any browser can start to slow down);
- regularly clean your browser and OS Windows (more on this below in the article);
- plugins like 'Adblock' (which block ads) – a 'double edged sword': on the one hand, the plugin removes unnecessary ads, which means that it will not need to be displayed and load the PC; on the other hand, before loading the page, the plugin scans it and removes ads, which slows down surfing;
- I recommend trying browsers for weak computers (moreover, many functions are already included in them, while in Chrome or Firefox (for example), they need to be added using extensions).
Browser selection (best for this year): https://pcpro100.info/luchshie-brauzeryi-2016/
2. Plugins and extensions
Here's the top tip – don't install extensions that you don't need. The rule 'but suddenly it will be necessary' – here (in my opinion) is not appropriate to use.
As a rule, to remove unnecessary extensions, it is enough to go to a specific page in the browser, then select a specific extension and remove it. Usually, a browser restart is required so that no traces of the extension 'remain'.
I will give below the addresses for configuring extensions of popular browsers.
Address: chrome: // extensions /
Figure: 1. Extensions in Chrome.
Address: about: addons
Figure: 2. Installed extensions in Firefox
Address: browser: // extensions
Figure: 3. Extensions in Opera (not installed).
3. Browser cache
Cache is a folder on your computer (roughly speaking) in which the browser saves some elements of the web pages that you visit. Over time, this folder (especially if it is not limited in any way in the browser settings) grows to a very tangible size.
As a result, the browser becomes slower, digging through the cache once more and searching through thousands of entries. Moreover, sometimes the “overgrown” cache affects the display of pages – they slide, skew, etc. In all these cases, it is recommended to clear the browser cache.
How to clear the cache
In most browsers, by default, the Ctrl + Shift + Del buttons are used (in Opera, Chrome, Firefox – the buttons work). After you click them, a window will appear as in fig. 4, in which you can mark what to remove from the browser.
Figure: 4. Clearing history in Firefox browser
You can also use the recommendations, the link to which is just below.
Clearing Browser History: https://pcpro100.info/kak-posmotret-istoriyu-poseshheniya/
4. Cleaning Windows
In addition to cleaning the browser, it is recommended to clean the OS from time to time Windows. It will also not be superfluous to optimize the OS in order to increase the performance of the PC as a whole.
I have a lot of articles on this topic on my blog, so here I will provide links to the best of them:
- the best programs for removing 'garbage' from the system: https://pcpro100.info/luchshie-programmyi-dlya-ochistki-kompyutera-ot-musora/
- programs for optimization and cleaning Windows: https://pcpro100.info/programmyi-dlya-optimizatsii-i-ochistki-windows-7-8/
- speed up tips Windows: https://pcpro100.info/tormozit-kompyuter-chto-delat-kak-uskorit-windows/
- optimization Windows 8: https://pcpro100.info/optimizatsiya-windows-8/
- optimization Windows 10: https://pcpro100.info/optimizatsiya-windows-10/
5. Viruses, adware modules, 'strange' processes
Well, it was impossible not to note in this article advertising modules, which are now becoming more popular day by day … Usually they are embedded in the browser after installing some small program (many users by inertia click 'further, further …' without looking at the checkboxes, but most often this ad is hidden behind these checkboxes).
What are the symptoms of a browser infection:
- the appearance of advertising in those places and on those sites where it has never been before (various teasers, links, etc.);
- spontaneous opening of tabs with offers to earn money, sites for adults, etc .;
- offers to send SMS to unblock on various sites (for example, to access Vkontakte or Odnoklassniki);
- appearance of new buttons and icons in the upper panel of the browser (usually).
In all these cases, first of all, I recommend checking your browser for viruses, ad modules, etc. You can learn how to do this in the following articles:
- how to remove a virus from the browser: https://pcpro100.info/kak-udalit-virus-s-brauzera/
- removal of ads that appear in the browser: https://pcpro100.info/reklama-pri-zapuske-pc/
In addition, I recommend starting the task manager and see if there are any suspicious processes loading the computer. To start the task manager, hold down the buttons: Ctrl + Shift + Esc (relevant for Windows 7, 8, 10).
Figure: 5. Task manager – CPU load
Pay special attention to processes that you have never seen there before (although I suspect this advice is relevant for advanced users). For the rest, I think the article will be relevant, the link to which is given below.
How to find suspicious processes and remove viruses: https://pcpro100.info/podozritelnyie-protsessyi-kak-udalit-virus/
That's all for me. By following these recommendations, the browser should work faster (with 98% accuracy?). I will be grateful for additions and criticism. Happy work.