I think that many users have encountered similar warnings of the defender Windows (as in Fig. 1), which is installed and protects Windows automatically, immediately after its installation.
In this article, I would like to highlight what you can do to stop seeing these messages again. In this regard, the defender Windows is quite flexible and makes it easy to add even 'potentially' dangerous software to trusted programs. So…
Figure: 1. Defender message Windows 10 about detection of potentially dangerous programs.
As a rule, such a message always catches the user by surprise:
– the user either knows about this 'gray' file and does not want to delete it, as it is needed (but the defender begins to 'pester' with such messages …);
– or the user does not know what kind of virus file was found and what to do with it. Many generally begin to install all sorts of antiviruses and check the computer up and down.
Consider the procedure in both cases.
How to add a program to the whitelist so that there are no defender warnings
If you use Windows 10, then it will not be difficult to view all notifications and find the one you need – just click on the icon next to the clock ('Notification Center', as in Fig. 2) and go to the desired error.
Figure: 2. Notification Center at Windows 10
If you do not have a notification center, then you can open the defender's messages (warnings) in the control panel Windows. To do this, go to the control panel Windows (relevant for Windows 7, 8, 10) at: Control Panel \ System and Security \ Security and Maintenance
Next, you should notice that in the Security tab there is a 'Show details' button (as in Fig. 3) – click on the button.
Figure: 3. Safety and maintenance
Further, in the opened window of the defender – there is a link 'Show details' (next to the 'clear computer' button, as in Fig. 4).
Figure: 4. Defender Windows
Then, for a specific threat detected by the defender, you can select three event options (see Figure 5):
- delete: the file will be deleted completely (do this if you are sure that the file is unfamiliar to you and you do not need it. By the way, in this case, it is advisable to install an antivirus with updated databases and scan the entire PC);
- quarantine: you can send suspicious files to it, with which you are not sure what to do. Later, perhaps, you may need these files;
- allow: for those files that you are sure of the quality. Often, the defender marks the files of games, some specific software as suspicious (by the way, this is the option I recommend choosing if you want no more messages about the danger of a file you are familiar with).
Figure: 5. Defender Windows 10: allow, delete or quarantine the suspicious file.
After the user responds to all the 'threats', you should see the following window – see fig. 6.
Figure: 6. Defender Windows: everything is in order, the computer is protected.
What to do if the files in the danger message are really dangerous (and unfamiliar to you)
If you don't know what to do, find out better, and then do it (and not vice versa):) …
1) The first thing I recommend is to select the quarantine (or delete) option in the defender itself and click 'OK'. The vast majority of dangerous files and viruses are not dangerous until they are opened and run on a computer (usually, such files are launched by the user himself). Therefore, in most cases, when a suspicious file is deleted, your data on your PC will be safe.
2) I also recommend installing some popular modern antivirus on your computer. You can choose, for example, from my article: https://pcpro100.info/luchshie-antivirusyi-2016/
Many users think that a good antivirus can only be obtained for money. Today, there are not very bad free analogues, which sometimes give odds to paid, promoted products.
3) If there are important files on the disk, I recommend making a backup copy (you can find out how this is done here: https://pcpro100.info/copy-system-disk-windows/).
Never ignore unfamiliar warnings and messages from programs that protect your files. Otherwise, there is a risk of being left without them …