Very often in many instructions, before updating drivers or installing any application, it is recommended to make a backup copy to restore the computer's performance, Windows. I must admit that I often give the same recommendations …
In general, Windows has a built-in recovery function (if you did not disable it, of course), but I would not call it super-reliable and convenient. In addition, it should be noted that such a backup will not help in all cases, plus add to this that it restores with data loss.
In this article, I would like to talk about one of the methods that will help you make a reliable backup of the entire hard disk partition with all documents, drivers, files, OS Windows, etc.
So, let's begin…
1) What do we need?
1. USB flash drive or CD / DVD
Why is this? Imagine, there was some kind of error, and Windows does not load anymore – just a black screen appears and that's it (by the way, this can happen even after a 'harmless' sudden power outage) …
To run the recovery program, we need a pre-created emergency flash drive (or a disk, just a flash drive is more convenient) with a copy of the program. By the way, any flash drive will do, even some old one for 1-2 GB.
2. Software for backup and recovery
In general, there are many programs of this type. Personally, I suggest staying with Acronis True Image …
Acronis True Image
Official website: http://www.acronis.com/ru-ru/
Main advantages (in terms of backups):
- – quick creation of a hard disk backup (for example, on my PC the system partition of the hard disk with the OS Windows 8 with all programs and documents takes up 30 GB – the program made a full copy of this 'good' in just half an hour);
- – simplicity and ease of use (full support of the Russian language + intuitive interface, even a novice user can handle it);
- – easy creation of a bootable USB stick or disk;
- – the hard disk backup is compressed by default (for example, my copy of a 30 GB HDD partition was compressed to 17 GB, i.e. almost 2 times).
The only drawback is that the program is paid, although not expensive (however, there is a test period).
2) Create a backup of a hard drive partition
After installing and launching the Acronis True Image program, you should see a window like this (a lot depends on the version of the program that you will use, in my screenshots the program 2014).
Immediately on the first screen, you can select the backup function. Launching … (see screenshot below).
Next, a window with settings will appear. It is important to note the following here:
– the disks to which we will make backups (here you choose yourself, I recommend choosing the system disk + the disk that the system has backed up Windows, see the screenshot below).
– specify the location on another hard drive where the backup will be stored. It is advisable to save the backup to a separate hard drive, for example, to an external one (now they are very popular and affordable).
Then just click the 'Archive' button.
The copy creation process starts. The creation time is highly dependent on the size of the hard drive you are copying. For example, my 30 GB disk was completely saved in 30 minutes (even a little less, 26-27 minutes).
In the process of creating a backup, it is better not to load the computer with extraneous tasks: games, movies, etc.
Here's a screenshot of 'my computer' by the way.
And in the screenshot below, there is a 17 GB backup.
By making a regular backup (after a lot of work done, before installing important updates, drivers, etc.), you can be more or less calm about the safety of information, and in general, the performance of your PC.
3) Create a backup flash drive to run the recovery program
When the backup copy of the disk is ready, it is imperative to create another emergency flash drive or disk (in case Windows refuses to boot; in general, it is better to restore the recovery by booting from the USB flash drive).
And so, start going to the section for creating backups and restoring and press the button 'create bootable media'.
Then you can just put all the checkboxes (for maximum functionality) and continue creating.
Then we will be asked to indicate the medium where the information will be written. Select a flash drive or disk.
Attention! All information on the USB flash drive will be deleted during this operation. Don't forget to copy all important files from your USB stick.
That's all. If everything went without errors, after about 5 minutes (approximately) a message appears stating that the bootable media was successfully created …
4) Restore from backup
When you want to restore all data from a backup, you need to configure BIOS to boot from a USB flash drive, insert the USB flash drive into USB and restart your computer.
In order not to repeat myself, I will give a link to an article on setting up BIOS for downloading from a USB flash drive: https://pcpro100.info/nastroyka-bios-dlya-zagruzki-s-fleshki/
If the boot from the flash drive was successful, you will see a window as in the screenshot below. We launch the program and wait for it to load.
Next, in the “restore” section, click the “search for a backup” button – we find the disk and the folder where we saved the backup.
Well, and the last step – it became only to right-click on the desired backup (if you have several of them) and start the restore operation (see the screenshot below).
That's all. If the Acronis program did not suit you for any reason, I recommend paying attention to the following: Paragon Partition Manager, Paragon Hard Disk Manager, EaseUS Partition Master.
That's all, all the best!