When a computer begins to behave suspiciously: for example, to shut down, restart, freeze, slow down on its own – then one of the first recommendations of most masters and experienced users is to check its temperature.
Most often, you need to find out the temperature of the following computer components: video card, processor, hard drive, sometimes, motherboard.
The easiest way to find out the temperature of your computer is to use special utilities. They are given this article …
HWMonitor (universal utility for determining temperature)
Official Website: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/HWmonitor.html
Figure: 1. Utility CPUID HWMonitor
Free utility for determining the temperature of the main components of a computer. You can download a portable version on the manufacturer's website (this version does not need to be installed – just launch it and use it!).
The screenshot above (Figure 1) shows the temperatures of the dual-core processor Intel Core i3 and Toshiba hard drive. The utility works in new versions Windows 7, 8, 10 and supports 32 and 64 bit's systems.
Core Temp (helps you find out the CPU temperature)
Developer site: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Figure: 2. Core Temp main window
This is a very small utility that very accurately displays the temperature of the processor. By the way, the temperature will be displayed for each processor core. In addition, the load of cores and their frequency will be shown.
The utility allows you to watch the processor load in real time and monitor its temperature. It will be very useful for full PC diagnostics.
Official website: http://www.piriform.com/speccy
Figure: 2. Speccy – the main window of the program
A very convenient utility that allows you to quickly and accurately find out the temperature of the main PC components: processor (CPU in Fig. 2), motherboard (Motherboard), hard disk (Storage) and video card.
On the developer's site you can also download a portable version that does not require installation. By the way, in addition to the temperature, this utility will tell you almost all the characteristics of any piece of hardware installed in your computer!
AIDA64 (temperature of main components + PC specifications)
Official website: http://www.aida64.com/
Figure: 3. AIDA64 – sensors section
One of the best and most popular utilities for determining the characteristics of a computer (laptop). It will come in handy not only for determining the temperature, but also for setting up autoload Windows, will help you when searching for drivers, determine the exact model of any piece of hardware in your PC, and much more!
To view the temperature of the main PC components – start AIDA and go to the Computer / Sensors section. The utility will take 5-10 seconds. time to display sensor readings.
Official website: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Figure: 4. SpeedFan
A free utility that not only monitors the readings of the sensors of the motherboard, video card, hard disk, processor, but also allows you to adjust the rotational speed of coolers (by the way, in many cases it allows you to get rid of annoying noise).
By the way, SpeedFan also analyzes and estimates the temperature: for example, if the HDD temperature is as in Fig. 4 is 40-41 gr. Ts. – then the program will display a green checkmark (everything is in order). If the temperature exceeds the optimal value, the check mark will turn orange.
What is the optimal temperature for PC components?
Quite an extensive question, examined in detail in this article: https://pcpro100.info/temperatura-komponentov-noutbuka/
How to lower the temperature of a computer / laptop
1. Regular cleaning of the computer from dust (on average 1-2 times a year) can significantly reduce the temperature (especially when the device is very dusty). I recommend this article on how to clean your PC: https://pcpro100.info/kak-pochistit-kompyuter-ot-pyili/
2. Once every 3-4 years, it is recommended to replace the thermal grease as well (link above).
3. In the summer, when the temperature in the room sometimes rises to 30-40 grams. Ts. – it is recommended to open the lid of the system unit and direct a regular fan against it.
4. There are special stands for laptops on sale. Such a stand is able to reduce the temperature by 5-10 grams. Ts.
5. If we are talking about laptops, then one more recommendation: it is better to place the laptop on a clean, flat and dry surface so that its ventilation holes are open (when you put it on a bed or sofa – some of the holes are blocked due to which the temperature inside the body of the device begins to grow).
That's all for me. Special thanks for the additions to the article. All the best!