Not so long ago, a good friend of mine was going through old photographs: some of them were signed, and some were not. And he, without much hesitation, asked me: 'But is it possible to determine the age of the person on it from the photo?'. Honestly, I myself have never been interested in such a thing, but the question seemed interesting to me and I decided to search the network for some online services …
Found! At least I found 2 services that do it well enough (one of them turns out to be brand new!). I think this topic may be of interest to quite a lot of blog readers, especially since the holiday is coming soon – May 9 (and probably many will sort out their family photos).
Not so long ago Microsoft I decided to test a new algorithm for working with photos and launched this service (while in test mode). And I must say, the service began to rapidly gain popularity (especially in some countries).
The essence of the service is very simple: you upload a photo, and he will analyze it and within a couple of seconds will present you the result: next to the person's face his age will appear. An example in the photo below.
How Old Do I Look is a family photo. The age is determined quite accurately …
Does the service determine the age reliably enough?
This is the first question that popped into my head. Because soon 70 years of victory in the Great Patriotic War – I could not help but take one of the main marshals of victory – Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov.
I went to the Wikipedia site and looked at his year of birth (1896). Then I took one of the photographs taken in 1941 (that is, in the photograph, it turns out, Zhukov is about 45 years old).
Screenshot from Wikipedia.
Then I uploaded this photo to How-Old.net – and amazingly, the age of the marshal was determined almost exactly: the error was only 1 year!
How Old Do I Look accurately determined the age of a person, an error of 1 year, and this is an error of about 1-2%!
I experimented with the service (I uploaded my photos, other people I know, characters from cartoons, etc.) and came to the following conclusions:
- Photo quality: the higher, the more accurately the age will be determined. Therefore, if you scan old photos – take them in the highest possible resolution.
- Colour. Color photography shows the best results: age is determined more accurately. Although, if the photo is black and white in good quality, then the service works quite well.
- Photos edited in Adobe Photoshop (and other editors) may not be detected correctly.
- Photos of cartoon characters (and other drawn characters) are not very well processed: the service cannot determine age.
I liked this site because, in addition to age, famous people are also shown here (although there are no Russians among them) who look like the uploaded photo. By the way, the service also determines the gender of a person from the photo and shows the result as a percentage. See example below.
An example of the pictriev service.
By the way, this service is more capricious to the quality of the photo: you only need high-quality photos, which clearly show the face (as in the example above). But you can find out which of the stars you look like!
How do they work? How to determine age from a photo (without services):
- Frontal wrinkles in humans usually become noticeable from the age of 20. At the age of 30, they are already well pronounced (especially in people who do not take particular care of themselves). By the age of 50, wrinkles on the forehead become very pronounced.
- After 35 years, small folds appear in the corners of the mouth. At 50 they become very pronounced.
- Wrinkles under the eyes appear after 30 years.
- Glabellar wrinkles become noticeable at the age of 50-55.
- The nasolabial folds become pronounced at 40-45 years old, etc.
Using a wide range of observations, such services can quickly estimate age. By the way, there are already quite a lot of various observations and methods, especially since experts have been doing this for a long time, just before they did it without the help of any programs. In general, nothing tricky, in 5-10 years, I think the technology will be perfect and the error of determination will become even less. Technological progress does not stand still, however …
That's all, all good May holidays!