For many users, the acronym DLNA doesn't mean anything at all. Therefore, as an introduction to this article, briefly what it is.
DLNA is a kind of standard for many modern devices: laptops, tablets, phones, cameras; thanks to which, all these devices can easily and quickly exchange media content: music, pictures, videos, etc.
A very handy thing, by the way. In this article, we will look at how to create such a DLNA server in the OS Windows 8 (in Windows 7, almost all the steps are the same).
How does DLNA work?
we will do without any complicated terms. Everything is quite simple: there is a home local network between a computer, TV, laptop, and other devices. Moreover, their connection to each other can be any, for example, by wire (Ethernet) or using Wi-fi technology.
The DLNA standard allows content to be exchanged directly between connected devices. For example, you can easily open a newly downloaded movie on your computer on your TV! You can quickly place the pictures you just took and watch them on the big screen of a TV or computer instead of a phone or camera.
By the way, if your TV is not so modern, there are already modern set-top boxes on sale, for example, media players.
How to create a DLNA server without third-party programs?
1) First you need to go to the 'control panel'. For OS users Windows 7 – go to the 'Start' menu and select 'Control Panel'. For Windows 8 OS: move the mouse pointer to the upper right corner, then select options from the pop-up menu.
Then a menu will open in front of you, from which you can go to the 'control panel'.
2) Next, go to the 'network and internet' settings. See the picture below.
3) Then go to the 'home group'.
4) At the bottom of the window there should be a button – 'create a home group', click it, the wizard should start.
5) At this point, just click further: we are only informed here about the advantages of creating a DLNA server.
6) Now specify which directories you want to provide to the members of the homegroup: images, videos, music, etc. By the way, perhaps you may find useful an article on how to move these folders to another location on your hard drive:
7) The system will give you a password, which you will need to connect to your home network and access files. it is desirable to write it down somewhere.
8) Now you need to click on the link: 'Allow all devices on this network such as TVs and game consoles to play my content'. Without this, the movie online – you will not watch …
9) Then you specify the name of the library (in my example 'alex') and put a checkmark in front of those devices that you allow access. Then click next and create a DLNA server in Windows 8 (7) – completed!
By the way, after you open access to your images and music, do not forget to copy something to them first! Many users have them empty, and the media files themselves are in a different place, for example, on the 'D' drive. If the folders are empty, then there will be nothing to play on other devices.
Cons and limitations
Perhaps one of the cornerstones is the fact that many device manufacturers are developing their own version of the DLNA. This entails that some devices may conflict with each other. However, this happens quite rarely.
Secondly, very often, especially with high-quality video, it is impossible to do without signal transmission delays. because of what 'glitches' and 'lags' can be observed when watching a movie. Therefore, full HD format support is not always possible. However, both the network itself and the loading of the device that acts as a host (the device on which the movie is saved) may be to blame.
And thirdly, not all file types are supported by all devices, sometimes the lack of codecs on different devices can be a serious cause of inconvenience. However, the most popular ones: avi, mpg, wmv are supported by almost all modern devices.