Good day, readers of the pcpro100.info blog. In this article, I will teach you how to work with one of the most popular file formats – PDF, namely, to combine several documents of this type into one file. So let's get started!
The PDF format is great for conveying information in an easy-to-view and edit-protected form. It is used for contracts, reports, scientific articles and books. But sometimes the problem arises: how to combine PDF files into one document. There are two ways to solve it: using programs or through online services.
- 1. Programs for merging PDF files
- 1.1. Adobe acrobat
- 1.2. PDF Combine
- 1.3. Foxit Reader
- 1.4. PDF Split and Merge
- 1.5. PDFBinder
- 2. Online services for merging PDF files
- 2.1. Smallpdf
- 2.2. PDFJoiner
- 2.3. Ilovepdf
- 2.4. Convertonlinefree
1. Programs for merging PDF files
Quite a few tools have already been written to merge files without an internet connection. Among them there are both babies and giants. Let's start with the latter.
1.1. Adobe acrobat
They say 'PDF' means Adobe Acrobat, more often the free version of Reader. But it is only intended for viewing files, it cannot combine PDF files into one. But the paid option copes with this task 'with a bang' – of course, because Adobe is the developer of the PDF format.
- 100% accurate result;
- knows how to edit source documents.
- bundling is available only in the paid full version (however, there is a 7-day trial). A monthly subscription costs about 450 rubles.
- modern cloud versions require registration with the Adobe service;
- plenty of space for installation (for Adobe Acrobat DC 4.5 gigabytes).
How to combine PDFs using Adobe Acrobat:
1. In the 'File' menu, select 'New', and in it – 'Combine files into one PDF document'.
2. Select PDF using the 'Add' button or simply drag it onto the program window.
3. Arrange the files in the desired order.
4. After clicking the 'Combine' button, the finished file will automatically open in the program. All that remains is to keep it in a place convenient for you.
The result is a guaranteed accurate connection.
1.2. PDF Combine
An interesting specialized tool for merging documents. Those wishing to combine PDF files into one program will be given a free download, but they will not be able to use it in business just like that. The full version without tricks sells for almost $ 30.
- miniature and fast;
- you can add entire folders with PDF;
- works without Adobe Acrobat;
- there is a portable version that works without installation;
- you can configure a sound signal about the end of the process.
- poor settings.
Attention! The trial version adds a page at the beginning of the document that says no license is available.
This is the kind of lettering that will 'decorate' your PDF if you use the trial version of PDF Combine
If this suits you (or you are willing to pay), then here are the instructions for working with the program:
1. Install the application or unpack the portable version, run the program.
2. Drag and drop files into the program window, or use the 'Add' buttons for files and 'Add Folder' for folders. If necessary, set the end sound (button 'Settings') and change the folder for the final file ('Output Path').
3. Click 'Combine Now!'.
The program will connect the files and open the folder with the result. In addition, the trial version will offer to buy a license.
Life hack: You can delete the first page with a PDF cutting program.
1.3. Foxit Reader
Strictly speaking, Foxit Reader will not be able to fully cope with the task of combining PDF files into one: this function is included in the paid product PhantomPDF. It works in the same way as in Adobe Acrobat:
1. Select from the 'File' – 'New' menu the 'From multiple files' item, indicate that you want to combine several PDF documents.
2. Add files, then start the process. Formally, Foxit Reader can also join documents. However, to do this, you will have to create an empty PDF file, then copy all the text there, select the font and size, add pictures in the same places, etc. In other words, do hours by hand what programs do in seconds.
1.4. PDF Split and Merge
The utility is sharpened just for merging and splitting PDF files. Acts quickly and clearly.
- specialized tool;
- works quickly;
- there are additional settings and functions;
- portable version;
- is free.
- does not work without Java;
- the translation into Russian is partially completed.
How to use:
1. Install Java (java.com) and the program, run it.
2. Select the 'Combine' option.
3. Drag and drop files or use the add button. Check your settings and click Run at the bottom of the window. The program will quickly do its job and put the result along the indicated path.
Another special tool for merging pdf files. Solves this problem exclusively.
- may require .NET to work properly.
- each time asks where to save the result;
- there are no settings other than the order of the files to be merged.
Here's how to work with it:
1. Use the 'Add file' button to add PDFs or drag and drop them onto the program window.
2. Correct the order of the files, then click Bind! The program will ask where to save the file, then open it with the PDF program installed on the system. A masterpiece of minimalism. No decorations, no extra features.
2. Online services for merging PDF files
It is also useful to know how to combine multiple PDF files into one without installing programs, online. This method only needs an internet connection.
The official website is https://smallpdf.com. The service fully lives up to its motto 'It's easy to work with PDF'. Pros:
- simple and fast;
- work with Dropbox and Google Drive is supported;
- many additional functions, including installation / removal of protection, compression, etc .;
Minus: The abundance of menu items can be scary at first
1. On the main page, a choice of more than 10 options is immediately available. Find 'Combine PDF'.
2. Drag and drop files onto the browser window or use 'Select file'.
3. Drag and drop files to line up in the correct order. Then click 'Combine to PDF!'
4. Save the file to your computer or upload to Dropbox / Google Drive. There are also buttons 'Compress' (if you need the lightest file) and 'Divide' (if the goal was to cut off the end of the PDF and glue it to another file).
The official website is http://pdfjoiner.com. Another good way to combine PDF files into one online service is PDFJoiner. Its main task is precisely to merge documents, but it can also be used as a converter. Pros:
- immediately offers to solve the problem, without choosing from the menu;
- we require a minimum of actions, but acts clearly and quickly;
Minus: merging line of the menu.
Everything is very simple:
1. Drag and drop files directly to the main page or select them with the 'Upload' button.
2. If necessary, adjust the order, then click 'Combine files'. The download of the result will start automatically. Just a couple of clicks – a record among services.
The official website is http://www.ilovepdf.com. Another resource for which to combine PDF online for free and in full compliance with the original documents is a matter of honor.
- many functions;
- watermarks and page numbering;
Minus: you can get lost in additional functions, there are a lot of them.
Here is the sequence of steps to work with the service:
1. On the main page select 'Merge PDF' – from the text menu, or from the large blocks below.
2. Drag the PDF to the next page or use the 'Select PDF Files' button.
3. Check the order and click 'Combine PDF'. The download of the result will start automatically.
One feels that the service is really created with love.
The official website is http://convertonlinefree.com. If you are looking for how to make one from several PDF files and at the same time keep the original look of the pages, then it is better to avoid this service. When merged, it resizes the sheet and introduces artifacts. What is the reason is unclear, since all other services processed the same source files normally.
- design outdated for a decade;
- extremely finicky with source files, accepts only zip-archives;
- you cannot change the order of pages;
- introduces distortion.
They use this service from the 'cheap and cheerful' category like this:
1. On the main page, find 'Process PDF'.
2. On the page that opens, use the 'Select file' button to add documents.
Attention! First, prepare the files. They need to be packed into an archive. And only ZIP – from RAR, 7z, and even more from PDF, he decisively refuses, against any logic.
3. After processing the downloaded archive, the download will start automatically. And here is the result: You can use the service, but in comparison with the others, it loses a lot.
If you still have questions, write to me in the comments to this article – I will be happy to answer each of them! And if you liked this article, share it with your friends on social networks, I will be very grateful 🙂