Today, the number of viruses in the hundreds of thousands! Among such a variety, catching this infection on your computer is as easy as shelling pears!
In this article, we will take a step-by-step look at how you can remove viruses from your computer in various situations.
- 1. What is a virus. Symptoms of a virus infection
- 2. How to remove viruses from your computer (depending on the type)
- 2.1. The 'regular' virus
- 2.2. Blocking virus Windows
- 3. Several free antiviruses
1. What is a virus. Symptoms of a virus infection
The virus is itself a reproducing program. But if they only multiplied, then it would not be so zealous to fight them. Some viruses can exist at all without interfering with the user until a certain point and at the X-hour will make themselves felt: they can block access to certain sites, delete information, etc. .d. In general, they prevent the user from working normally on a PC.
When a virus gets infected, the computer starts to behave unstable. In general, there can be dozens of symptoms. Sometimes the user does not even know that he has a virus on his PC. It is worthwhile to be on your guard and check your computer with an antivirus if the following symptoms are present:
1) Reducing the speed of the PC. By the way, we discussed earlier how to speed up Windows (unless, of course, you have viruses).
2) Files stop opening, some of the files may become corrupted. Especially, this applies to programs, tk. viruses infect exe and com files.
3) Reducing the speed of programs, services, crashes and application errors.
4) Blocking access to part of the Internet pages. Especially the most popular ones: VKontakte, classmates, etc.
5) OS lock Windows, please send SMS to unlock.
6) Loss of passwords from access to various resources (by the way, this is usually done by Trojans, which, however, can also be classified as viruses).
The list is far from complete, but if there is at least one of the items, the probability of infection is very high.
2. How to remove viruses from your computer (depending on the type)
2.1. The 'regular' virus
Under the word “usual” it should be understood that the virus will not block your access to work in the OS Windows.
First you need to download one of the utilities to check your computer. Some of the best are:
AVZ is an excellent utility that is designed to remove Trojans and SpyWare. Finds many viruses that other antiviruses cannot see. More details about it – see below.
CureIT – just run the downloaded file. It is best to do this in safe mode (at boot, press F8 and select the desired item). You are not given any options by default.
Removing a virus with AVZ
1) Let's assume that you downloaded the program (AVZ).
2) Next, unpack it with any archiver (for example, 7z (free and fast archiver)).
3) Open the avz.exe file.
4) After starting AVZ, you will have access to three main tabs: search area, file types and search parameters. In the first tab, select the drives that will be scanned (be sure to select the system drive). Mark the checkboxes so that the program checks running processes, performs a heuristic system scan and looks for potential vulnerabilities. In the treatment method, enable options that will determine what to do with viruses: delete, or ask the user. A screenshot with the listed settings is just below.
5) In the file types tab, select scan for all files, enable scan for all archives without exception. See screenshot below.
6) In the search parameters, select the maximum heuristic mode, enable Anti-Rootkit detection, search for key hooks, fix system errors, search for Trojans.
7) After setting the settings, you can click on the start button. The check takes quite a long time, at this time it is better not to execute other processes in parallel, because AVZ blocks some of the files. After checking and removing viruses – restart your PC. Then install some popular antivirus and scan your entire computer.
2.2. Blocking virus Windows
The main problem with such viruses is the inability to work in the OS. Those. in order to cure a computer, you need either a second PC or prepared disks. As a last resort, you can ask acquaintances, friends, etc.
By the way, there was a separate article about viruses blocking Windows, be sure to take a look!
1) First, try booting in safe mode with command line support (such a boot point will appear if you press the F8 button when booting the PC, it is better, by the way, to press it several times). If booting succeeds, type 'explorer' into the command line and press Enter.
Next, in the start menu, in the run box: type 'msconfig' and press Enter.
In this system utility, you can see what you have at startup. Disconnect everything!
Next, restart your PC. If you were able to enter the OS, then install an antivirus and check all disks and files for viruses.
2) If the computer fails to boot into Safe Mode, you will have to resort to Live CD. This is a special bootable disk that can check the disk for viruses (+ delete them, if any), copy data from the HDD to other media. Three specialized rescue disks are the most popular today:
Dr.Web® LiveCD – Rescue CD from Doctor Web. A very popular set that works flawlessly.
LiveCD ESET NOD32 – probably the utilities on this disk check your hard disk more thoroughly than others. Otherwise, it is impossible to explain the long computer scan …
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 is a disk from Kaspersky. Convenient, fast, with Russian language support.
After you download one of the three discs, burn it to a laser CD, DVD or USB flash drive. Then turn on in Bios turn on the boot queue check for boot records of the floppy drive or USB (more on this here). If everything was done correctly, the Live CD will boot and you can start checking the hard disk. Such a check, as a rule (if viruses are found), helps to get rid of the most common viruses that are unlikely to be removed by other means. That is why, at the beginning of this chapter, a footnote was made that a second PC would be needed for treatment (because it is impossible to write a disk on an infected one). It is highly desirable to have such a disc in your collection!
After disinfection using the Live CD, restart the computer and install a full-fledged anti-virus program, update the databases and enable the thorough scan of the computer.
3. Several free antiviruses
There has already been an article about free antiviruses, but here we will only recommend a couple of good antiviruses that are not included in the main assembly. But popularity and unpopularity do not always mean that the program is bad or good …
1) Microsoft Security Essentials
An excellent and free utility to protect your PC from viruses and spyware. Capable of providing real-time PC protection.
What is especially pleasing: it is easy to install, works quickly, does not distract you with unnecessary messages and notifications.
Some users find it not very reliable. On the other hand, even such an antivirus can save you from the lion's share of danger. Not everyone has the money to buy expensive antiviruses, however, no antivirus program gives a 100% guarantee!
2) ClamWin Free Antivirus
An antivirus scanner capable of distinguishing a huge number of viruses. It can be easily and quickly integrated into the explorer context menu. The databases are regularly updated, so that the antivirus will always be able to protect you from most threats.
The undemandingness of this antivirus is especially pleasing. Of the minuses, many note its unsightly appearance. Is it really that important for an antivirus program?
In any case, you must have at least one antivirus on your computer (+ it is highly desirable to have an installation disk with Windows and a Live CD in case viruses are removed).
Results. In any case, the threat of infection is easier to prevent than trying to remove the virus. A number of measures can minimize risks:
- Installing an antivirus program, updating it regularly.
- Updating the OS itself Windows. All the same, the developers do not just release critical updates.
- Do not download questionable keys and trainers for games.
- Do not install suspicious software.
- Do not open mail attachments from unknown recipients.
- Make regular backups of necessary and important files.
Even this simple set will save you 99% of adversity.
I wish you to remove all viruses from your computer without losing information. Happy treatment.