In this article, today we will look at creating an emergency bootable disk (or flash drive) Live CD. First, what is it? This is a drive that you can boot from without installing anything on your hard drive. Those. in fact, you get a mini operating system that can be used on almost any computer, laptop, netbook, etc.
Secondly, when can this disk come in handy and why is it needed? Yes, in most different cases: when removing viruses, when restoring the OS Windows, when the OS refuses to boot, when deleting files, etc.
Now let's start creating and describing the most important points that cause the main difficulties.
1. What is needed to start work?
1) The first thing that is most needed is the rescue Live CD image (usually in ISO format). The choice is wide enough: there are images with Windows XP, Linux, there are images from popular anti-virus programs: Kaspersky, Node 32, Doctor Web, etc.
In this article, I would like to focus on images from popular antiviruses: firstly, you can not only view your files on your hard drive and copy them in case of an OS failure, but also, secondly, check the system for viruses and cure them.
Using the example of an image from Kaspersky, let's see how you can work with the Live CD.
2) The second thing you need is a program for recording ISO images (Alcohol 120%, UltraISO, CloneCD, Nero), perhaps a program for editing and extracting files from images (WinRAR, UltraISO) will be enough.
3) USB flash drive or blank CD / DVD. By the way, the size of the flash drive is not that important, even 512 MB is enough.
2. Creating a bootable disk / flash drive
In this subsection, we will consider in detail how to create a bootable CD and a USB flash drive.
2.1 CD / DVD disc
1) Insert a blank disc into the drive and run the UltraISO program.
2) In UltraISO, open our image with the rescue disk.
3) Select the function of burning the image to CD (F7 button) in the 'tools' menu.
4) Next, select the drive in which you inserted the blank disc. In most cases, the program automatically detects the required drive, even if you have several. The rest of the settings can be left by default and click the record button at the bottom of the window.
5) Wait for the message about the successful recording of the rescue disk. It will not be superfluous to check it in order to be sure of it in difficult times.
2.2 USB flash drive
1) Download a special utility for recording our emergency image from Kaspersky from the link: http: //support.kaspersky.ru/8092 (direct link: http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/rescue2usb.exe) . It is a small exe-file that quickly and easily writes an image to a USB flash drive.
2) Run the downloaded utility and click install. After that you should see a window in which you need to specify, by clicking on the browse button, the location of the ISO file of the rescue disk. See screenshot below.
3) Now select the USB drive to which you will record and press 'start'. In 5-10 minutes the flash drive will be ready!
3. Configuring Bios (enabling media loading)
By default, most often, in the Bios settings, direct loading from your hard drive HDD is set. We need to slightly change this setting, so that the disk and flash drive are first checked for boot records, and then the hard drive. To do this, we need to go to your computer's Bios settings.
To do this, when booting your PC, you need to press the F2 or DEL button (depending on your PC model). Often, the welcome screen shows a button to enter the Bios settings.
After that, in the boot settings Boot – change the boot priority. For example, on my laptop Acer the menu looks like this:
To enable booting from a USB flash drive, we need to move the USB-HDD line using the f6 key from the third line to the first! Those. will first check the flash drive for boot records, and then the hard drive.
Next, save the settings in Bios and exit.
In general, the Bios settings were raised quite often in various articles. Here are the links:
– during installation Windows XP, the boot from a USB flash drive was disassembled in detail;
– inclusion in Bios the ability to boot from a USB flash drive;
– loading from CD / DVD discs;
4. Usage: copying, checking for viruses, etc.
If you did everything correctly in the previous steps, the Live CD boot from your media should start. Usually a green screen appears with a welcome screen and the start of the download.
Next, you must select a language (Russian is recommended).
In the boot mode selection menu, in most cases, it is recommended to select the very first item: 'Graphics mode'.
Boot Mode Selection
After the emergency flash drive (or disk) is fully loaded, you will see a regular desktop that strongly resembles Windows. Usually, a window opens immediately with a proposal to check your computer for viruses. If viruses were the reason for booting from the rescue disk, agree.
By the way, before checking for viruses, it will not be superfluous to update the anti-virus databases. To do this, you need to be connected to the internet. I am glad that the rescue disk from Kaspersky offers several options for connecting to the network: for example, my laptop is connected via a router via Wi-Fi to the Internet. To connect from an emergency flash drive, you need to select the desired network in the wireless networks menu and enter the password. Then access to the Internet appears and you can safely update the databases.
By the way, a browser is also present in the rescue disk. It can be very useful when you need to read / finish reading some manual on system recovery.
You can also safely copy, delete and modify files on your hard drive. For this there is a file manager, in which, by the way, hidden files are also shown. Having booted from such a rescue disk, you can delete files that are not deleted in the usual one Windows.
Using the file manager, you can also copy the necessary files on the hard disk to a USB flash drive before reinstalling the system or formatting the hard disk.
And another useful feature is the built-in registry editor! Sometimes in Windows it can be blocked by some virus. A bootable USB flash drive / disk will help you restore access to the registry and remove the 'virus' lines from it.
In this article, we have discussed the intricacies of creating and using a bootable USB flash drive and disk from Kaspersky. Rescue discs from other manufacturers are used in a similar way.
It is recommended to prepare such an emergency disk in advance when your computer is working properly. More than once I was rescued by a disc that I recorded a few years ago, when other methods were powerless …
Happy system recovery!