Information about all pages viewed on the Internet is stored in a special browser log. Thanks to this, you can open a previously visited page, even if several months have passed since the moment of viewing.
But over time, a huge amount of records about sites, downloads and much more accumulate in the history of a web surfer. This contributes to the deterioration of the program, slowing down the loading of pages. To avoid this, you need to clean your browsing history.
Where is browser history stored
The browsing history is available in all modern browsers, because there are times when you just need to return to an already viewed or accidentally closed page.
No need to waste time trying to find this page again in search engines, just open the visit log and from there go to the site of interest.
To open information about previously viewed pages, select the 'History' menu item in the browser settings or press the 'Ctrl + H' key combination.
To go to the browser history, you can use the program menu or the keyboard shortcut
All information about the jump log is stored in the computer's memory, so you can view it even without an Internet connection.
How to clear your web browsing history
The procedure for viewing and clearing website traffic records may differ from browser to browser. Therefore, depending on the version and type of browser, the algorithm of actions also differs.
In Google Chrome
- To clear your Google Chrome browsing history, click on the 'hamburger' icon to the right of the address bar.
- Select the 'History' item in the menu. A new tab will open.
In the Google Chrome menu, select the 'History' item
- On the right side there will be a list of all visited sites, and on the left – the 'Clear history' button, after clicking on which you will be asked to select a date range for clearing data, as well as the type of files to be deleted.
In the window with information about the pages viewed, click the 'Clear history' button
- Next, you need to confirm your intention to delete the data by clicking on the button of the same name.
Select the required period in the drop-down list, then click the delete data button
- In this browser, you can go to the browsing history in two ways: through the settings or by opening the tab with information about the pages in the Library menu. In the first case, select the 'Settings' item in the menu.
To go to the browsing history, click 'Settings'
- Then in the loaded window, in the menu on the left, select the 'Privacy and Security' section. Next, find the 'History' item, it will contain links to the history page and delete cookies.
Go to the privacy settings section
- In the menu that opens, select the pages or period for which you want to clear the history and click the 'Delete now' button.
To clear the history, press the delete button
- In the second method, you need to go to the 'Library' browser menu. Then select the 'Log' – 'Show entire log' item in the list.
Select the item 'Show entire log'
- In the tab that opens, select the section of interest, right-click and select 'Delete' from the menu.
Select the item delete records in the menu
- To view the list of pages, double-click on the period with the left mouse button.
In the Opera browser
- Open the 'Settings' section, select 'Security'.
- In the tab that appears, click the 'Clear browsing history' button. In the box with the items, check the boxes that you want to delete and select the period.
- Click on the clear button.
- There is another way to delete pageview records. To do this, select the 'History' item in the Opera menu. In the window that opens, select a period and click the 'Clear history' button.
In Internet Explorer
- In order to delete your browsing history on your computer in Internet Explorer, you need to open the settings by clicking on the gear icon to the right of the address bar, then select 'Security' and click on the 'Delete browser history' item.
In the Internet Explorer menu, select the Delete Log item
- In the window that opens, check the boxes that need to be deleted, then click the clear button.
Mark the items to be cleared
- To delete data about viewed pages, click on the 'Safari' menu and select 'Clear history' in the drop-down list.
- Then select the period for which you want to delete the information and click 'Clear log'.
- To clear the browsing history in Yandex Browser, you need to click on the icon in the upper right corner of the program. In the menu that opens, select the 'History' item.
Select 'History' from the menu
- On the opened page with records, click 'Clear history'. In the opened window, select what and for what period to delete. Then press the clear button.
Deleting Browsing Information Manually on a Computer
Sometimes there are problems with starting the browser and history directly through the built-in function.
In this case, you can delete the log manually, but before that you need to find the corresponding system files.
- First of all, you need to press the Win + R button combination, after which the command line should open.
- Then enter the command% appdata% and press the Enter key to go to the hidden folder where information and browser history is stored.
- Then you can find the file with the history in different directories:
- for Google Chrome browser: Local \ Google \ Chrome \ User Data \ Default \ History. 'History' – the name of the file that contains all information about visits;
- in Internet Explorer: Local \ Microsoft \ Windows \ History. In this browser, it is possible to delete entries in the history of visits selectively, for example, only for the current day. To do this, select the files that correspond to the required days and delete them by right-clicking or pressing the Delete key on the keyboard;
- for Firefox browser: Roaming \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ <profile name> \ places.sqlite. Deleting this file will permanently clear the log entries for the entire time.
Video: How to Delete Pageview Data Using CCleaner
Most modern browsers constantly collect information about their users, including saving information about transitions in a special log. With a few simple steps, you can quickly clear it, thereby improving the web surfer's performance.