According to statistics, every fifth smartphone is a fake. If you buy a gadget not in the manufacturer's official store, you should be especially vigilant. Especially if you plan to purchase one of the 5 smartphone models that are most often counterfeited.
Considering the price-quality ratio, iPhone 8 is one of the most popular 'apple' smartphones, and therefore it is very often counterfeited. The first thing to look out for is the box. The original has a beautiful, neat, coated cardboard, with an embossed logo, as well as a detailed information sticker on the bottom (barcode, IMEI, model, memory size).
After evaluating the box, proceed to inspect the smartphone itself and pay attention to the following points:
- The body of the original iPhone is aluminum, so it should be heavy and cool to the touch. The fake is either plastic or thin light metal.
- It is impossible to remove the back cover of the 'iPhone' by yourself. In the case of a fake, this is practically no work.
- The original only has one SIM card slot. Additional ones can be poked into a fake.
- The back cover of a real Apple has an IMEI code, which must match the one written on the box.
- Turn on your smartphone and find device information in the settings. The serial number must match the one printed on the back cover and on the box.
- Click on the AppStore icon. If instead of the Apple app store, Google Play starts to open, then you have a fake with Android disguised as iOS.
Samsung Galaxy A10
In terms of popularity and the number of fakes among Samsung, the Galaxy A10 has recently been in the lead. In order not to become a victim of deception, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- The back panel is made of special Glasstic material, a durable plastic with a mirror effect that looks different depending on the lighting. An ordinary plastic cover is a fake.
- The original version provides 2 SIM cards and a separate slot for a memory card. A fake gadget may contain a hybrid slot.
- Turn on your smartphone and check the operating system version in the settings. Should be Android 9.0. If an older or newer version is installed, then you are dealing with cheating.
- Dial the combination # 7353 #. This is a special 'Samsung' code for calling the service menu. If the device does not respond to this code, then the device is not factory assembled.
- The smartphone is only sold in black, blue and red. White, silver and other color variations indicate a fake.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
More often, scammers cash in on buyers of low-end and mid-range smartphones, but sometimes they aim at flagship models. For example, on Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Here are the parameters by which you can distinguish the original from the counterfeit:
- Galaxy Note 9 is packed in a high-quality box-book in a representative black color. A fake can be stuffed into a regular box.
- The kit includes a stylus that can be used to remotely control your smartphone. If the device is not original, there may be no stylus in the box at all. Or it will be ordinary, which you can only write, draw and press buttons.
- The phablet is available in black, indigo and lavender colors. Any other variations are fake.
Xiaomi Mi 9
It may seem strange and even absurd that Chinese smartphones are counterfeited in China, but this happens. The tenacious paws of scammers grabbed the super-fashionable flagship Xiaomi Mi 9.
Features start from the box. It is made of heavy-duty cardboard which, according to the manufacturer, can withstand the weight of two people. And also on the bottom of the box there is a sticker with a protective coating. After deleting it, you can see the code and check it on the official website Xiaomi.
After opening the box, pay attention to the following points:
- The body of the smartphone is glass, with a beautiful holographic effect. Plastic or plain glass is a sign of a fake. The presence of scratches also means fake.
- All corners of the case are rounded, pleasant to the touch. Sharp edges indicate a clumsy fake.
- The size of the bottom border of the original is 3.6 mm. In a fake, this figure will be higher. Or the scammers want to surpass the official manufacturer and make the smartphone frameless.
- A fingerprint scanner is built into the display. If it is on the back panel in the old fashioned way, you have a fake in your hands.
- An opaque protective film must be attached to the camera lens. If it is transparent or, at all, absent, then you are being deceived.
- You can check the authenticity of the device by installing the proprietary application Xiaomi Smartphone Anti-Fake.
OnePlus 7 Pro
The Chinese company OnePlus is not yet as popular as Samsung, iPhones or the same Xiaomi, but it is already being counterfeited. Most often, the OnePlus 7 Pro is faked. You can check the gadget for originality by the following signs:
- All information about the smartphone is printed on the packaging. There will be a sticker on the counterfeit box.
- If you bought the European version, and the kit includes a charger with a plug for a Chinese outlet, this is a fake.
- The warranty is given for 2 years. If the coupon indicates 1 year, then either you have a fake in your hands, or they are trying to sell you a Chinese version disguised as a European one.
- The feature of this gadget is a retractable front camera. If the peephole is located directly on the screen, this is a fake.
- Subscreen fingerprint scanner. But scammers can stick it on the back cover.