Instagram has been and remains one of the most popular social networks in recent years. However, not all people enjoy sharing personal information with outsiders. Closing a profile as usual is not always able to solve the problem, so you should use the advanced privacy settings.
Don't archive 'Stories'
By default, all publications are saved in the Instagram archive, which allows you to delete unnecessary photos and videos from the phone's memory. After 24 hours, only you will be able to view the old 'Stories' and share them again if you wish. If you are not interested in this option, do the following:
- Go to Instagram.
- Swipe the screen to the right to access Stories mode.
- Click on the gear button, which is in the upper left corner of the screen.
- In the menu that opens, find the 'Save to archive' item and disable the option.
After that, all temporary publications will disappear forever.
Disable online status
Like other social networks, Instagram shows whether a user is online. If you don't want to 'light up' while online, disable this setting:
- Go to your profile and drag the screen to the left to open an additional menu.
- Go to the settings at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to the 'Privacy' section and go to the 'Online status' item.
- Move the slider to the left so that no one can see your online status.
Please note that if the online status is disabled, you will also not be able to find out which users are online.
Make a list of best friends
Instagram has significantly expanded its privacy settings with the Best Friends feature. You can create a separate list for the closest people and not show publications to unfamiliar subscribers. To use this option, first make a list of your best friends:
- Go to your profile.
- Pull the screen to the left to access the additional menu.
- Select the 'Best friends' section and add the necessary subscribers to your list (they will not know about your actions, but the 'stories' will be marked with a green circle in the future).
In the future, when publishing 'Stories', you should click the green star so that only the subscribers you have chosen will see the photo or video.
Instagram also allows you to restrict commenting to filter out spam or unnecessary posts from unauthorized persons. For this you need:
- Go to your profile and go to settings.
- Select the 'Privacy' section and click on the 'Comments' item.
- Customize items as you see fit.
It is recommended to enable the 'Hide offensive comments' feature, and if your posts are popular, you can apply a manual filter and erase comments with specific words or phrases.